Electric shock treatment: First aid for electric shock

By | February 5, 2021

An electric shock is a painful stimulus when a person comes in contact with any source of electric energy. For example, if a person comes in connection with a bare conductor through which the current is flowing, he will get an electric shock. Electric shock is the flow of electric current through a person’s body that may damage the skin or internal organs or even kill the person if the voltage is high enough. The severity of the damage mainly depends upon the intensity of the current. The more significant is the power of the current, the more severe will be the shock. Anyone can get affected by electric shock.

Electric-Shock-Treatment

Most people panic in these kinds of situations. They don’t know what to do when they see someone getting an electric shock. Electric shock can be minor or can be severe; you need to be cautious in both cases. If a person doesn’t get treated on time, then electric shock can be life-taking. So it’s essential to learn how to give first aid. The right treatment at the right time can save a person’s life.

We are here to guide you on how to take control of these conditions and help a person on time. It’s essential to take initial and immediate steps to give first aid. So, Whenever you see a person getting an electric shock, you should take the following initiative steps:

  • Switch off the Electric supply immediately
  • Carefully remove the victim from the source of supply.
  • A thick layer of insulation material should be used to make contact with the affected person.


Don’t try to touch the victim with bare hands when he is in getting the electric shock.

Electric shock treatment in minor cases:

If the current’s intensity is low and the contact is minimal, then the electric shock would be negligible. In this case, the person gets frightened or distressed. It’s not dangerous, but there can be a sudden fall in blood pressure, leading to unconsciousness.

In this case, follow these steps:

  • Reassure the patient.
  • Give the patient water to drink
  • Don’t give the patient hot drinks, as they cause vasodilation, and blood pressure can fall.
  • Give him space to take a rest.
  • Consult a medical officer for safety and satisfaction.

Treatment in severe cases:

In the high intensity of the current, when the shock is extreme, it can be dangerous and lead to death. In severe cases, if first aid for electric shock is not provided on time, it can lead to death. There can be two possibilities according to the shock and reaction of the person’s body towards that there can be a lack of respiratory movement or cyanosis or a person can experience cardiac arrest due to complete loss or abnormal respiratory activity. A part of the body maybe severely burnt out due to the shock too. Sometimes a person appears to be dead after getting a severe electric shock. But if he is adequately treated and medical help is given in time, the victim can recover and come back to everyday life in most cases.

In this case, follow these steps

  • To make sure that respiratory passages are clear, lay the victim flat.
  • If the patient is wearing tight clothes, loosen the clothes and let the airflow increases.
  • If the patient is unconscious, then without any delay, a medical officer is called.
  • If respiration has ceased, then airways are cleared, and artificial respiration is supplied by mouth.
  • External cardiac massage is given if cardiac arrest occurs
  • The most important is to call a medical emergency.

The treatment is essential, as you can save anyone’s life by knowing how to control and treat a person in this harsh situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.